Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Heaven & Hell... vs nothing??

So, my Sunday school class is doing a study on a book, that I can't remember the name of. Obviously I am not taking part very much. We haven't been but twice and I have not bought the book. Anyway, one Sunday morning they brought up the topic of Heaven and Hell.

I guess it was just by the way I was raised, but I have never questioned the fact that there is a Heaven and there is a Hell... with Satan! However, in part of this book, the author(I think), a pastor, stated that he does not believe in Hell or Satan. That struck me as very odd. How can that be? If there is no Hell and no Satan, what is the evil in this world? What keeps people from just doing whatever they want because they don't have to worry about the fires of Hell?

I know that the "lake of fire" is mentioned in Revelations. Satan tempted Christ. How can a person who is theologically trained on the Bible say that there is no Hell or Satan. (Also, our church does not sing any verses in any hymns or praise songs that make any mention of Satan, the devil, or Hell.)

To go along with this, the author (or the mentioned pastor) said that he believes that Christianity is not the "only" way to Heaven. (The whole premise of the book is God is Love... in fact that might be the title.) There were many in the class that believe this too, along with the no Hell/Satan thing. It is a very, very "progressive" or liberal class and I just cannot wrap my head around some of the things they talk about.

I am finding this somewhat frustrating. Can you help me with this? Let me know where there are mentioned in the Bible these topics: Satan, Hell, lake of fire, death (in relation to hell or something like that), and anything else that might be of relevance here. Also, let me know what your church's stance on this is. I'm just curious as to your opinions. Thanks.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

RUN! RUN FAR AWAY! That's what I would do. I would be fearful of the unbiblical doctrine taught at any level of my church. Of course the Bible talks about satan and hell and people going to hell. But, it's not the PC thing to say anymore so churches and pastors are turning away from that doctrine. I could never attend a church that taught a class on a book that said there is many ways to heaven. Jesus said he is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Him.

Either you believe in the One who died to save you from your sins, or you aren't saved. The Bible is very clear what happens to the ungodly, unsaved. When I run into doctrinal problems like this, I go straight to the Bible myself and start reading. Take note of every verse that backs up either side of your question. That has led me to the truth every time... and it's a great fresher of the New Testament. God will lead you to wisdom if you ask Him.