Monday, August 17, 2009

Another Check on the Bizarre Calendar of this Pregnancy

Now that I've peaked your curiousity...

The boys are five days old now and doing better than ever. Ethan, our smallest, is showing the other guys up telling them it's time to step up to the plate. He already has his breathing tube out and received his first milk today. Alex and Grant are progressing quickly. They should be off the breathing tubes in the next couple of days.

Jess and I have recently been discussing all the bizarre things that have happened during this pregnancy. Today we add another bizarre item to the calendar. Cynthia was in the NICU with the boys this afternoon doing care time. She looked at Grant and then at Alex and commented to the nurse "for identical twins these guys sure don't look alike." The response she received almost floored her, "what do you mean, they aren't twins." WHAT???????

You heard it!!! Grant and Alex are NOT identical twins!!! Before I completely blow your mind, we still have identical twins.

During delivery Dr. P sent off the placentas to the lab for testing to confirm his diagnosis and ensure there aren't any other things that didn't show up initially. In doing all of their testing the lab determined that it is Ethan and Alex that are the identical twins not Grant and Alex. Boy does that explain a lot of questions we've had from the beginning!!! We're not quite sure how this happened, maybe Dr. P can explain.

All of that behind us, it doesn't matter which ones are identical twins. What matters is that everyone is healthy and doing well.

More pictures tomorrow. Have a good night.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Ya know, I remember when Jess was saying it was Baby C who was having the growth and diastolic flow problems, I commented that I was surprised it wasn't one of the identicals (I was thinking A & B were the identicals) because that's usually the case where an identical has issues (Twin To Twin Transfusion...I'm sure you're familiar by now...). So it doesn't really blow my mind to find that Ethan is one of the identicals :-). It does, however, blow my mind that they didn't figure that out while Jess was still pregnant. LOL! Still, I'm so happy to hear everyone is doing so well!!

Carrie said...

That is beyond weird about the twin thing! Imagine if you'd never asked! :) I'm so proud of little Ethan! What a strong little guy!

Kara said...

I agree with Canderson- what if you never asked, and their whole lives you wondered why Alex and Ethan look so dang alike... LOL! I also am surprised that they didn't figure this out in pregnancy! They must have all just been too squished in there.

YAY ETHAN for showing your brothers up! Getting the breathing tube and getting milk is INCREDIBLE!!!!! I'm so proud of him! Way to go, little guy!!!

Anonymous said...

I also was wondering about the problems with Ethan if he wasn't one of the twins. Interesting. Are they sure they did not mix up anything in the lab from the placentas? How about posting new weights.
Donna

Kara said...

OK, I've been thinking about this all day long. So your first ultrasound when they saw the triplets, did they each have their own sac? Or did the identicals (B & C I guess!) share one and A had his own? If they shared, then did they switch positions in utero without anyone ever knowing, making their letters mixed up, which is why you thought A & B were the identicals?

I can't wait to hear what your doctor says about this.... because it's been on my mind all day making me wonder way too hard. :) Please post any answers you get when you get a chance! :)