Friday, August 14, 2009

60 Hours Old

So we're 60 hours old already. It's hard to believe it's been that long. I still vividly remember sitting there with Jess in the operating room and our little boys being passed from the surgeon to the NICU nurses. I'm sure I'll remember the details of that day for the rest of my life.

There really hasn't been much change among the boys. They continue to just charge along full steam ahead. I'm not sure if it's true or not but they look like they are growing by leaps and bounds.

Alex is doing well. He's still under the phototherapy light. He still has his breathing tube in but it hopefully it will come out in a couple of days. The nurses have been weaning him off it all day. He's lost a small amount of weight which against your best judgement is actually a good thing. That means he's losing the fluid weight that causes him to swell. This picture was taken by Grandpa Rigsby showing his hand in comparison to Alex's body.



Grant continues to do really well. He's also under the phototherapy light and has his breathing tube but has been cut back on both strength and oxygen. He too should be off in a couple of days. I got to do his care time again tonight. I had just put a clean diaper on him when he peed all over it and had to get another one. When we were getting ready to leave he decided to open his eyes and just stare at us. In this picture Grandpa Rigsby is holding Grant's foot and remember Grant is the largest of the 3 boys.



Ethan is out feisty little trooper. I know he'll be the last one to come home but the way he's been developing we joke that he'll be the first one home. He's also on the breathing tube (and phototherapy light) but could possibly be off it and on a cpap plus oxygen in a few days. The hard part is that the cpap is too big for his nose. Jess took this video this morning. Ethan has eye masks on to protect them from the phototherapy light. He's also still under the humidity tent to help him maintain his body temperature.



So what's care time and a cpap? Care time is when we get to do some of their care. We take their temperature, swab their eyes and mouth with a saline wipe and change their diaper. The nurse also checks their vitals and weighs them. The best way I can explain a cpap is an oxygen mask with two small tubes that go in their nose. It keeps the lungs from deflating too much when they exhail.

How's mom doing? Jess is recovering well. She's walking around the hospital using her wheelchair as a support and a place to sit if needed. Her incision is getting sore so she's working to keep it stretched out. If everything progresses like it has been she will be discharged Sunday. She can't wait to get home. It's been a long 4 1/2 weeks in the hospital.

How am I doing? I'm doing well. Tired of course but on cloud nine. I returned to work today. I'm trying to hang onto some of my time for when the boys get to come home.

Lastly we want to thank everyone for the cards, visits, gifts, etc.

Jess's boss brough me a pack of cigars, chocolate cigars that is. I haven't tried one yet but I hear things from Sees Candy are the best.



Pastor Anne stopped by today and brough the boys the coolest card I've ever seen. It's called a swinging card. It stands up and Noah's Ark swings in the middle. The details of all the animals is just amazing. This one is definitely going in the scrapbook.



Grandpa Fischer sent flowers to Jess and a small arrangement for each one of the boys.



Well good night for now. Hope you enjoy the updates and pics.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great details James. Thanks for texting me and telling me to come look at the new post Jessica. They are SO very precious! It won't be long and they will be running you all over the place ... rest while you can! I'll call tomorrow!

Love To All of Our Fischers!!!

Aunt Mimi

Krismisstree said...

We are COMPLETELY enjoying the posts--you guys are doing great with the updates that everyone so eagerly anticipates!!

We're still praying for you!

Kara said...

They look great!! When will they start eating? Or are they already? I forgot to look for feeding tubes in those pictures.

You both look great and it looks like parenting is a totally natural thing for both of you! Way to go!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to all of you! We love the updates and the pictures, and are so glad to hear of the boys' progress. We praise God for these perfectly formed little guys, and continue to pray for you all.
Love,
Cousin Barbara

Carrie said...

James, thanks for posting. I am so glad the boys are doing well. I love the updates. We continue to pray for you five every day. May God bless you as you head back to work for a while.