Monday, August 24, 2009

Kangaroo Time

About a week ago Ethan's belly started swelling. He had been fed a couple of times of 1ml of breastmilk, and got an infection in his bowels. They stopped moving and he got a build up of gas. The poor baby was in so much pain and he look very uncomfortable. They started him on antibiotics and took x-rays to see his bowels. They were incredibly swollen and filled with gas.

He did not seem to be getting better, and then I asked the nurse on Saturday if I would be able to hold him and do a kangaroo time with him. I believed that it would help him more than anything else. Look how tiny he is!

Boy was my thinking good. He had a bowel movement Saturday night, Sunday night, and a nice big one for me today! That means his bowels are moving again. I never thought I would be so excited about poop! I am sure he feels much better today.



James finally got to hold one of the boys too. He did a kangaroo time with Alex. James loved it and Alex was the most comfortable he has ever looked laying on his daddy's chest.

Here is Alex with his huge eyes. He is so curious about everything and loves to look at things.

I didn't get a picture of Grant So, we have now done kangaroo time with each of the boys. James gets to finally do one with Grant tonight. I have done time twice with each of the boys. I really believe it is helping them. It helps me to feel more like their mother too. So far it has been hard for me to feel like their mother since we can only touch them a couple of times a day and I am not providing for them entirely.

I know they are where they need to be, and I am not complaining, but I do with that they were healthy and able to be home. It will come soon though, I know. We just need to keep praying that they all stay healthy and grow. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. We appreciate everything.
Love-
Jessica
PS - My boss asked me to write a devotional about this past couple of weeks and it was posted today. You can read it at http://www.abcrm.org/devotional.htm.

6 comments:

Amy said...

I read your devotional, it was very, very good! I remember being in a state of constant prayer for a long time, until my sister passed away two weeks before I gave birth to my son. Then I couldn't pray anymore. I didn't know what to pray for. I'm trying to get back to that because I never felt closer to God than I did during those days I prayed all the time. It's hard, but so worth it. So glad your boys are doing so well, Jess & James!!!

Elizabeth said...

ISN'T KANGAROO TIME AWESOME?? Good for you insisting you knew how to help your son!!! The boys already know you guys and can tell when you are there. How awesome. You have to be sure to be giving them lots and lots of extra loving for all the aunts and uncles (much less great aunts and uncles) that can't be there. You guys are so blessed! Keep up the awesome work!

Finkleas said...

OHHHH MY GOODNESS JESSICA!!!! They are absolutely adorable!!! Congratulations on all of them being alive and healthy!! Good job Mommy!! They are beautiful!!!

Kara said...

Hooray! So glad the kangaroo care worked!! Go, Ethan! Glad you guys get to do that. I know how it feels to want to be MOM, but you can't as much because of the limitations. As they come off tubes and wires, you'll get to do more! I'll never forget what it was like, the first time I got to pick Brecken up and carry him around with NO limitations because there were no tubes and wires- it was awesome! :)

Keep doing an awesome job, Mom and Dad!

Friar Tuck said...

They are so tiny. And adorable.
You are in my prayers.

Elizabeth said...

Do we have 2 week old photos?

I know... I'm not one to talk... but seriously. New pics? Stats? What's happening? I can never talk on the phone so this is my lifeline.