Monday, October 8, 2007

Un-published poetry

Dec. 12, 2001 my family's lives turned around. My brother, Tim, died suddenly in his sleep. As is my tradition when someone passes, to deal with the grief, I write poetry. I was going through my old poetry books that I had written in and found a couple of poems that I have not put out there for anyone to read. I feel now is the time that I can do that. Here are a few.


"Untitled"


"Brother, oh brother, my brother dear!"
That is what I would say
if only you were standing here,
yesterday and today.
But your time is here
God has asked for you back,
you know I will shed a tear.
But the love I will not lack.
For though I never said it enough,
and time and again I wanted to
-you were always so rough and tough-
it scared me to say, I love you.


"Untitled 2"

Each little piece carefully placed
in its spot, with perfect grace
finally the work is done
a ship whose battle it had won
just like the life of my dear brother
piece by piece, just like the other
the construction of this life gone by
had its straights, lows, and highs
starting with a thought conceived in the mind
but eventually leaving it all behind
pieces were broken, fixed, and glued
its importance as the pieces new
so, too, my brothers days
each step never mixing his ways
applying the last paint coat on
so did he fall asleep at the dawn
like the maker placing it in a safe place
God did the same with his life, with grace
the creation was finished and finally done
just like my brother, he's finally won!


"Tim"
(this one was published in the program for his funeral)

You are with Grandma now
and little Jacob too,
Jesus and all the others
are in God's house with you.

You, my brother,
regarded with much love,
are standing with God
watching us from above.

Please watch over us
each and every day
and be our guiding angel,
keep us from harms way.

One last thing
before you go
I will always love you,
I just wanted you to know.

No comments: