Sunday, October 21, 2007

Bad News and Good News

Good news and bad news. I will start with the bad news first. My mom told me on Wednesday that my Grandpa Dickey was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Since he is over 70 they will not operate. He will be going to Sioux Falls to where my aunt Donna is a nurse and works in the hospital, to get a second opinion, just to make sure. I hope that you will keep my family and Grandpa in your prayers. It is much needed at this time!

Now, for the good news. I have been in Grand Junction all week long, and it has been wonderful. I really think I know what I am supposed to do for this time in my life. I am going to stay right where I am and enjoy working in a job I love!

Wednesday evening and all of Thursday we went through a workshop called Healthy Congregations. I was a lot of information thrown at me at one time. I don’t know how much if it I will be able to put into practice at my church but I guess I will work on it. The whole premise of the workshop is to create a congregation that is “healthy.” This does not necessarily mean that it has to grow, but it is a way for conflict and all that to be dealt with on a civilized and Christian basis.

One of the main points was that each person in a congregation should focus on improving self, and when one does that, it in turn will help improve the whole. For example, most churches will experience a time of high anxiety from time to time. This anxiety can come from many sources. Such sources can be positive or negative; losing members, losing a long time pastor, money problems, issues involving sex/sexuality, staff conflicts, growth, worship styles, etc. These factors can contribute to the whole becoming anxious and possibly arguing, and even eventually dividing.

This does not have to happen though. A church can work through these anxious times and be a healthy church. Like I said at the beginning of the last paragraph, each person needs to focus on improving themselves, and in turn the whole will be better. This example was set by Jesus himself. If you look at the story of Jesus, he taught (Matthew 22, Mark 4, Luke 6, etc) and was a leader (Mark 1, John 6, John 10, etc) for the people. However, he took time to got to the mountain and pray and get away to reflect. He made time to reconnect with God and make sure he was focused on God’s will (Mark 6:30-33, Luke 4, Luke 22:39).

I must cut this short, but I really feel that this, if put into practice, can help any church. I have to finish this for now, but I will write more tomorrow on the rest of the Gathering.

1 comment:

Krismisstree said...

We will pray for Grandpa Dickey! Is he a believer? I know he's involved in church and stuff, but deeds don't equal salvation--I've never aksed him myself, so I am hoping he is a believer and that a diagnosis of prostate cancer may just mean God is ready to call him home and that Grandpa is at peace with that! That would be a terrible blow to your family;w e will pray for all of you and for Grandpa's salvation if he is not saved.

That's awesome that you feel that God has led you to where you need to be in life! It's so cool to be affirmed that the choices that you are making are in God's will for you :) How exciting!