Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"Go Forward"

I found this in one of the old newsletters at work. I think this is also relevant for today!
Published in The Colorado Baptist April 1943, by Aaron Schlessman, President of Colorado Baptist Association.

The Hebrew people were being "pressed on every side " caught in a pincer movement with Pharaoh’s forces behind and the Red Sea before. Gripped with fear they cried again to Moses and Moses knew what to do. He had learned to "walk humbly with God." And the Lord answered "Go Forward."

It seemed impossible but forward they went passing "through the Valley of the Shadow of death" to victory. The Lord’s people are being pressed on every hand a fearful pincer movement has us in its grip. Do we as Moses of old know where to look for strength?

"Call unto me and I will answer thee and show thee great things and difficult which thou knowest not" (Jer. 33:3). God asks us to accept His challenge. What He really says is "I challenge you to find a problem so difficult that I cannot solve it for you if you will bring it to me in prayer." Are we willing to accept His challenge? Hudson Taylor once said "There is a living God. He has spoken in the Bible. He means what He says. He will do all that He promised."

For our need in soul-winning He has said "Ye are my witnesses." Witness then! He will honor it to His glory. For our giving-needs He promises— "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory through Christ Jesus." Giving to increasing emergencies is surely a need. Colorado Baptists let us arise and meet it. For our Christian growth He assures "grace—and peace from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ."

To my mind we who are on the home base must grow stronger spiritually to prevent tremendous reactions and losses when our boys and scattered forces come home. In our men’s brotherhood meeting recently I was asked to tell the men what they could do as a group on the home front. Among other things I emphasized the deepening of our spiritual lives. That unless our boys find a deeper spirituality and a richer enthusiasm for God and righteousness there will be keen disappointment when they return for they will need it.

May we really glow with divine energy. "Go forward!" says our Heavenly Father "Go forward!"

No comments: