Thursday, July 16, 2009

In the Hospital Until They Come Out...

Yes, you read correctly. I am in the hospital now until the God decides that it is time for the boys to be born. I'll explain why in the recap of yesterday below...

It was a very, VERY long day yesterday. (It still really hasn't ended for me, cause I can't sleep in this bed.) I came to the hospital for my nurse/office visit at 3:00 pm. Everything looked great there. My blood pressure was 116/74, not protein or glucose in my urine, my weight gain was ok (only 2 lbs) and everything else looked just fine. We chatted with the nurse just like we would be going home at the end of the day.

At 4:00 pm we stepped inside the ultrasound room. They did growth checks on all the babies and here is what they found. In the 1-day-short-of 2 weeks, Baby A went from 1lb 5oz to 1lb 10oz. Baby B went from 1lb 7oz to 1lb 14oz. Baby C went from 14oz to 1lb (or 16oz).

Baby C finally showed us his heart and it looked really good. He also waved at us a couple of times as we first started looking at him. However, when they went to measure the (I think) diastolic pressure in his umbilical cord, it was absent. (I think I am getting these terms right. It was a lot of medical jargon that I am not used to.) Basically, in layman's terms, he is having trouble pumping blood out and to the placenta. It is resisting him for some reason. This is the reason he is small.

"What can be done about this?" you may ask. Well, not really anything to cure it. They admitted me to the hospital to regulate how much I am on my feet and so they can monitor the babies 3 times a day.

Basically, Baby C is going to have this issue from now on. Dr. P wants us to try and eek out another 4 weeks that he can grow. Then when C decides that he needs to come out, all 3 of them will have to come out. Dr. P said it's not if Baby C gets sick, its WHEN Baby C gets sick (or stops growing) that they will bring them out. (We just hope it is at least 4 weeks from now and not any sooner.)

The other issue that we have is since the placenta is acting up, it is also putting bad stuff into my body. Putting me at a much greater risk for Pre-eclampsia (click on the word for information). Since I also have a history of this in my family, that puts me at a greater risk also. So, they want to closely monitor me for this.

Dr. P ordered that I go swimming 2 times a day, at 10am and 3pm (the hospital has a pool!). I told him that was great!! (That's way more than I would be able to go on my own.) He said that the swimming will help push some of the nasty stuff that we are all getting out and keep the swelling down a lot. Hopefully this works (as it seems to be working well with me just at home, so 2 times a day here should work wonders.)

So, I was allowed to go home and gather my stuff and go out to eat one last time with James before I had to check in. We went to Olive Garden and stuffed ourselves. It was hard to leave Jet at home, because I know he is going to miss me like crazy since I have basically been home with him every day.

I checked in at 8:00 pm and we did a mountain of paperwork. We monitored the boys for the first time (an hour each time we do it) and they all looked good. Though they did say that you could see that C was having a more difficult time than his brothers. I then got swabbed for Strep B, got a steroid shot (which will help the babies develop faster), and had my blood drawn for a couple of lab tests.

The nurse finally left me to go to sleep at 11:30pm. I was sooooo exhausted, or so I thought. I tried to get comfortable on this bed, but it has this weird airbed feature that inflates and deflates every-single-time I move. It got very annoying and the nurse didn't show me how to turn it off. So, I have been up quite a bit and now it is 6:00 am Thursday and I have probably only gotten 2-3 hours of sleep. I guess I will have to nap quite a bit today.

So, long post, I know, but I thought some splainin' was needed. I am at Presbyterian/St. Luke's hospital and I am allowed visitors. However, no one under 18 is allowed due to the threat of H1N1 still. If you want to come visit, just give either James or I a call on our cell phones and let one of us know. (James will be working still, but he will call me if anyone calls him.)

We appreciate all the thoughts and prayers. God can do great things and we just pray that C continues to grow for a while longer.

15 comments:

Lee Ann said...

I would love to come see you. I can leave my children at my sister's house. Would a week day or weekend be better? Let me know

Amy said...

Man, I know I've never met you IRL, but I would so come visit you in the hospital if it weren't so far away (I'm in Michigan). Want some Parents magazines to read? I have a bulk ton of them I can send you (yes, I'm totally serious, I'd send them to you). They're previous issues, but still new enough that the information is current. Let me know!!! :-) Take care of yourself and your baby sons, Jess!

Krismisstree said...

We are definitely praying for you. I wish I could do more but am so far away! I Pray that the next four weeks (or more!!) fly by so quickly and Baby C gets the rest and nutrition he needs.

Finkleas said...

Wow!! How exhausting!! I am not a good pregnant person! I was in the hospital 3 times with my last one. I can't even imagine carrying 3. You are quite the trooper. You are in my prayers. Good luck with everything.
Love
Laura

Three Peas in a Pod said...

Jessica hang in there! I hope the next 4 weeks or more go fast for you! I'll continue to pray for you and your family particular baby C. It sucks to be at the hospital, but at least you and your babies will be well care for if they were to come sooner than expected. When I was on hospital bed rest, I would take Ambien for night. It was great! I was out in 10 minutes until morning!

Friar Tuck said...

I hope you have good insurance!

Elizabeth said...

Hey there! We are thinking of you guys. I wish I could come visit, but I think I will save my time/gas money for when the boys get here. Do you need anything? I hope you have lots of pillows (from home... hospital pillows were terrible) and stuff to do. Just relax and rest as much as possible! You will never be this pampered again! :D Maybe we can collect some of Dad's movies to send with Mom for you to watch? Settle in... you can do it!

The Holzwarth's said...

Hi Jess,
Just wanted you to know that I am praying and will keep praying for both the safety of your babies and YOU! Hang in there! I can relate to some of what you are going through, although only with one baby and not 3! So I am here if you ever need to talk! Praying from Iowa....

Carrie said...

Oh, I feel so bad that you have to be on bedrest in the hospital. Marca nd I pray for you and the boys every night. We will continue to pray for everyone's health. You are already a great mom, jess.

Anonymous said...

hang in there jess you can do it...and go c grow!!!! our thoughts and prayers are with you!
-The Soesbe Clan-

Nichelle said...

Hi there I am a blog/babycenter friend of your sisters! SO I follow your blog through hers! Sorry to hear your in the hospital until they arrive:-) YOU CAN DO IT!! I also have triplets that just turned one! Time just flys on by....I was on hospital bed rest for two weeks. So easy for me to say, YOU CAN DO IT!! BUT you can!! They will be here before you know it!!
Take care and enjoy swimming, that sounds like it'll help!!
Nichelle

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess and family. I am praying for all three kiddos and you. Hope you aren't going to crazy in the hospital. I'm sure sorry about all the complications and hope that in a couple months everyone will be out and home and healthy! You're in my thoughts, I love telling people about you and Beth's stories. If you need something, let me know. Take care!

MJS said...

I am praying that you can remain pregnant with 3 healthy boys for the next 4 weeks!! Being in the hospital is hard but just remember the reason you are there. I was in the hospital for 4 weeks and said everyday just take my babies just take them and theyk kept repeating to me that it wasn't best for the babies. Now I think I could have stayed in there for a long time but it is hard!! Keep busy doing something and be sure you have a visitor at least once a day to keep your spirits up!!

Amy said...

Read about you via your Elizabeth's blog (her trio was born just a day before mine), and wanted to wish you and your family all the best. Praying for you and all three of your boys, and hoping that Baby C decides to stay in there at least another few weeks!

Cassie said...

Hi there! My baby b had the same issue. We were able to hold out to 32 weeks. He was tiny (2 lbs 10 oz) but healthy.

If you have any questions, I could try to help!!

My boys are the Fisher triplets as well...(everyone spells it with a C anyway...)

Hang in there! And you are all in my prayers!