Friday, July 24, 2009

Explanation of Baby C's Absent Diastolic Flow

So, I know a few of you are actually wondering what it is that is making Baby C so sick. I finally found an explanation for you, because I could NOT remember what the doctor explained it as. I know James heard it all, but I didn't. So...

Absent diastolic flow in the umbilical cord is when blood moves forward only when the heart is contracting.

If Baby C gets bad enough, he may end up having this... Reverse diastolic flow in the cord. When the blood moves back toward the heart when the heart relaxes. (Found this info at http://www.tttsfoundation.org/questions_explained.php)

So, we want to keep praying that it is just absent and never gets to reverse. We also want to make it the next 2 1/2 weeks to 30 weeks! That is what we have our sights set on right now! I only pray that God keeps C and all the rest of us safe until (or past) then.

Thank you for the continuing thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to know what is going on. I know that you and your doctors are doing everything possible to help these three little boys into the world in as healthy an environment as possible. They couldn't ask for better parents or medical help. Keep doing everything that you can to keep yourself healthy. I'll see you in a few days.

Love you ALL!!

Aunt Mimi

Three Peas in a Pod said...

Hi Jessica! I'm glad to "see" that things are stable:) No change is good:) I continue to think about you and your babies:) I'll be thinking and praying for you on Wed for C to continue to grow! I'm positive he will have grown:) You know Arianna had some reverse flow and she was still growing (not like her siblings but some). Keep up the awesome Mommy work you're doing:) You're almost to the big 28 weeks milestone! Way to go! Thanks for keeping us updated:) We'll definetely keep the prayers coming your way:)