Sunday, May 23, 2010

What is the craziest thing someone has ever said to you about your multiples and how did you respond?



James and I don't shy away from taking the boys out in public. It is quite fun to hear the comments we get. Here are a few of them and my/our responses.

"You have your hands full!"
- my responses very from "Yep" to "Only when I am holding all three at the same time!"

"Triplets!!" or "Are they triplets?"
- I know I was a curious onlooker for a better part of my life, but still... It is just how it is. They are not a circus act. I just smile and nod, and usually keep on walking.

"Do triplets run in your family?"
- I have now started saying that my sister has triplets too, so yes. It causes me to have to answer the next question then too...

"Family gatherings must be fun..." (as in "I wouldn't want to attempt that!!")
- I tell them that it is quite fun and that you should have seen Christmas. It was organized chaos!

"Instant family. You are done now?"
- Um, well, maybe not. "We haven't decided." (that's when I get the look of absolute insanity) But what makes you think that 3 is enough for me and my family. Granted, James only wanted 2, but I am not saying we are completely done until I am no longer completely stressed with 3 infants underfoot!

Then there are the picture happy people. Some people ask "Can I take a picture?", but some just take out their camera and point. At which point we say "no pictures!!" They are not a circus act!!

James' biggest peeve is when people notice the boys and will start talking ABOUT them to someone else, asking them questions, instead of just asking us the questions. I guess it is people just being polite, instead of nosey. But seriously, if you are going to talk ABOUT us, wait till you are out of earshot!

I get this one lots!! "How are you feeling?" - Well, I am a multitude of things... tired, exhausted, achy, stinky, unkempt, frazzled, sick of spit, sick of crying, sick and tired of being sick and tired, tired of pretending not to be tired... um... tired... "Oh, I'm doing FINE!"

OOOOOO... the last thing that drives me bonkers is the questions and comments about Nadya Suleman (the Octomom).
"Have you heard about the Octomom?" - um... hasn't everyone.
"At least you didn't have 8!" - nope, just 3!
"You don't have 11 more at home do you?" - um... do I look old enough to have 14 kids? Wait! Don't answer that!!!

5 comments:

kristen said...

someone asked me if my twins were the result of "2 buck chuck" - i guess she meant alcohol or some sort. i just walked away b/c the rudeness stunned me completely!

Amy said...

This is hilarious! I actually saw a set of triplets at the McDonalds playland not too long ago (a set of identicals and one fraternal, all boys just like your family). I have to say from an outsider's perspective, it's hard not to look. Triplets are uncommon and babies are just plain cute, so when you put those together, it's hard not to stare, so I hope I didn't come off as gawking as though they're a circus act (heck, I only have ONE child and people stare at him all the time LOL! I just chalk it up to his cuteness). I spoke briefly with the Mom, making sure not to ask stupid or personal questions. I just commented on how adorable her triplets are and how fun it must be. She was impressed that I could identify that there were a set of identicals and one fraternal (which she affectionately calls "a pair and a spare" LOL). But it's fun to read the crazy things people say/ask to parents of multiples.

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha...i love it! i do not have triplets but i do have 3 under 4 and i get alot of those very same questions. the one that drives me crazy lately is when some looks at PJ and says "so are you having anymore?" dude!! look at me!!! half the time i'm lucky to have my hair and or teeth brushed what do you think?!? why yes, shes a week old and we are trying again right now!! ppl are so stupid sometimes! I hope you get sleep sometime soon!! ~Sam

Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

it DOES get annoying, doesn't it? I about lost it the other day at the store -- an older couple stopped in their tracks, and turned around to watch us go by. Blech!
I love the picture in the header!

Kara said...

LOL at the "old enough to have 14 kids"!! Too funny.

People seriously just take pictures? Crazy! (Though I'd LOVE to come take pictures of your boys! :) )