Thursday, May 15, 2008

Update on Sunday School

So, we went to Sunday school this past Sunday. James wasn't going to go, but the church announced our pastor candidate last week and he felt he needed to be there in case there were questions. Well, we went.

The discussion started out standard, with the opinion that we need to love everyone and that God loves every one! I agreed. However, the discussion started to peak up when someone suggested that we do not need to "evangelize." We should not try and convert people to Christianity. I sat and listened for a while. Trying to get a grip on what I wanted to say. But James jumped in first. He asked the people what they felt about Missionaries. The person said that if a missionary is going out to help build houses and help people that way, but if they are going to try and convert people, then they should not go!


WHAT?????!!!!!!??????


Ok, so I had to sit and listen for a while longer to understand where the person was coming from. They still didn't make sense, but I let a couple of others (including James) argue.


Then the topic of universalist vs. dualist views came up. Here is my understanding of them both. As a universalist, a person believes that all people go to Heaven, no matter what. A dualist believes that there is Heaven and Hell and that only those "saved" will go to Heaven. Everyone else is condemned to Hell. (As you have probably guessed, I am a dualist, and may in our class are universalists).


So, going back to the topic of living our lives as good people (from a previous post), a bunch of people in class started saying that the dualist view is a "FUNDAMENTALIST" view! (Am I a fundamentalist? Seriously?) I had to sit there and gawk. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Just because I believed what the Bible taught, meant that James, a couple of others in the class, and I are all fundamentalists. Oh boy. Do we have our work cut out for us!


Well, I finally had to speak up! I said that being a dualist is NOT bad. I am not a fundamentalist. Just because I believe that some people are going to Heaven and some people are going to Hell does not mean that I do not try and love every one of my neighbors (i.e. everyone I come into contact with.) Granted, I do not know what God is thinking, or do I even have a small incling of His power. All I know is that I need to follow the Bible and what it directs me to do with my life.


Now that I said that, we got back on to the topic of missionaries and conversion. (For some reason there are a couple of words that some people in the class think are "bad words." They are conversion, evangelical, evangelize--any of those--, fundamental, and a couple of others I can think of right now.) Anyway, the couple of people said that they don't think they need to worry about where people go when they die. They are just going to live good lives and if those people want to know, then they will tell them, but they don't care about converting them.


I then said, well, if you are going to live a "good life" you need to live it intentionally. You need to live with the intent to lead people to Christ, because that is what the Bible says to do. Matthew 28:16-20


"Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had
directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. And
Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been
given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in
the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to
observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the
end of the age."



I laid it out this way. We are called by God to believe in Christ. Christ calls us to live a life centered on Him. We, therefore, try to live as much of a good life as possible, so people will see that we are authintic, so they can wonder why, and then they will ask, and then they will want to know Christ! Does that make sense??


I think I got my point across, and I was backed up by a few people. I tried to agree to disagree with these people, but it is very hard for me to do, when I know I have been called by Christ to "Make disciples of all nations."


I had to leave before the class was over (because of choir), but I wasn't overly frustrated. I actually didn't leave with high blood pressure, but I did speak my mind, so did James. I am still concerned for a few people and for this class, but all we can do is keep working at it and keep praying that God will use us

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds to me like some people in your class don't believe in "converting" or "evangelizing" because they themselves don't want to be converted. They don't want the pressure of having to try to live to Christ's standards and entrust their lives to Him. They want to be satisfied thinking that just living their "good life" will get them into heaven and they don't want your church telling them otherwise. Heaven help your Sunday School class!