Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Confessional Time

I feel that I need to put this out there for a couple of people to know. There are a lot of reasons that I am living and doing the things I am doing, and here is one of them.

For the past year and a couple of months, James and I have been attempting to get pregnant. So far no luck. Here is why...

I have a condition that is called Polycystic Ovary Syndrom (PCOS) or Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD). (here is the link to the info on my doc's website) Whatever you call it, it is where your ovaries have cysts on them and they do not, at least in my case, allow me to ovulate. My hormone levels are out of wack because of this, or because my hormones are out of wack I have PCOS. It's a "catch-22." There is also a possibility that my Thyroid could be causing some of this too. My doctor wants to check that again here in a couple of months.

Anyway, my doctor has encouraged me to lose weight. Losing weight can help with the PCOS and the possible thyroid issue. However, in another "catch-22" the PCOS can prevent me from losing weight, as can the possible thyroid issue. I find this all very frustrating.

My doctor has put me on the medication Metformin. She started me on a 500mg dose and said in 6 weeks if things are not getting back to normal in my body she will up the dosage. I have a call in to her right now to see if we are going to up to dosage.

Well, I figured I would put this all out there to let you all know. I know, where does privacy go these days. But, if I am going to be continually asked when we are going to have kids, I might as well have some place to point people to.

I would also like to ask for your prayers for us. We hope God blesses us and makes us parents sometime soon, but as you know, it is all in His timing. So your prayers would be appreciated. Thanks.

2 comments:

Kara said...

Good for you for "coming out". :) In my experience, it will make it a lot easier to deal with the "when are you going to have kids?" questions. I just told the people who asked, "actually, we're struggling with infertility right now." I'm very open about our struggles with people because 1) I might educate them about infertility and 2) they won't bug you so bad about when you're having kids, which for me made it lots less painful. Every time I got asked that, it put a little ache in my heart.

See you on MSN. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica,
I am totally praying for you! We serve a big God and I know that He will give you the dreams of your heart. Keep bugging that doctor-I think everytime they tried something new with me (Metformin, clomid, shots, etc) it was when I asked what else could be done. The metformin did help me drop the pounds-after about 6 months and I was up to 4 pills a day. It will happen!
Kenzie