Sunday, November 21, 2010

QOTW - What is your favorite Thanksgiving recipe? Butter Horn Rolls



The Multiples and More blog community that I am a part of does a QOTW (question of the week) each week. This week the question is "What are your favorite Thanksgiving (or holiday) recipes? Are they ones that are passed down or one you found yourself?"

I decided to put on here my all time favorite recipe. I love making these and they are very addicting to eat!! I wish I had a picture of them, but I don't. I will get a picture over the Thanksgiving holiday.

I remember going to my grandmother's house before Thanksgiving or Christmas and helping her roll these up. She would make hundreds (if not a thousand or more) of these every Christmas. Now my aunts and mom have taken on the "duty" of making rolls!! I do them sometimes too (when I have the chance).

I do not know where the recipe came from. Mom, Marie, or Donna, could you enlighten me on that?

I will be making them this Christmas since we will be staying at home. I am so excited to do my bake-a-thon one weekend (James has already agreed to take the boys off my hands.)

These are the best rolls I have ever had, but they take a while to make. Be prepared to spend at least 5 hours on them (not all of that is in the kitchen however). ENJOY!!

BUTTER HORN ROLLS

Ingredients
1 cup milk (@ room temp)
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 package yeast
3 eggs beaten (also @ room temp)
4 1/2 cups flour (approx.)

To make dough-
dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water (about 100 degrees) and a tablespoon sugar. Let rise till yeast is doubled.

Meanwhile, combine milk, butter, sugar, and salt. Add doubled yeast. Gently mix together. Add eggs. Gently mix. Add flour. Dough should be thick and a tad sticky. Add more or less flour for consistency.

Put dough in a large bowl, cover with a dish towel and let rise for at least 2-3 hours. (Make sure it is in a warmish place - between 70-80degrees so it can rise properly.)
If desired, punch dough down and let rise again.

To form rolls -
take a ball of dough about the size of your fist (or a bit more) and roll out on a floured surface (roll it out like a pizza crust). Roll to about 1/4 inch thick. Take a pizza cutter and cut into 12pieces. Start at edge of piece and roll dough in onto itself, like a crescent roll.

Repeat until all dough is gone.

To bake-
Preheat oven to 350. Place rolls on greased cooking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes. There should be a touch of brown and the inside should be not goo-y. :)

Yield ~ 3-5 doz (depending on size of rolls)

1 comment:

Donna Dickey said...

The recipe is from your Great Grandma Bundy and I am sure came from her mother. Can't wait to eat some at Thanksgiving. See ya soon.