Friday, November 13, 2009

No more NICU!!!!

Yesterday Ethan's doctor asked if I was coming in today. I told her yes. She wanted to make a plan for Ethan's departure from the NICU. She envisioned sometime this weekend, like Saturday or Sunday.

I knew that I needed to go into the NICU early because I had Alex and Grant's first pedi appointment at 1:00. So, I headed off to the NICU. When I stepped into our room, Ethan's nurse looked at me and said "Did they call you?" I said "NOooooo... what's going on?" My head was just spinning as to what happened over night. I was thinking the worst.

"Ethan's going home today!" the nurse said.

Those were the sweetest words I have ever heard! I just about jumped out of my skin. I had to run out of the NICU to the waiting room to call James. I then had to tell them that we had to be out of there no later than noon so I could get home and get the other boys to their appointment. I think it was the quickest discharge that those nurses had ever done.

I was so ready for it. He does have to be on oxygen at home though. He still hasn't quite developed those lungs correctly. So, we have a big oxygen tank sitting in our living room, and two little ones we can tote around with us to church, the doctors office, or anywhere else we want to go.

So, we have all 3 boys home now. I am so happy.

Ethan and I got home and I had to get the other two off to the pedi, so Grandpa Fischer stayed with Ethan while Grandma went with us to the dr. Good thing. They did not like being stripped down to go on the scale. Happily it wasn't for naught. They both gained weight since the hospital!! Alex now weighs 7lbs 14oz and Grant weighs 8lbs 12oz. The doctor said they looked really good and to keep doing what we are doing.

She wants to try and get us back onto breastmilk, since right now they are on just formula. She told us at some point in the next week to try Alex or Grant on breastmilk mixed with rice cereal to make it thicker. Then we'll be able to tell if it is just the thickness of the food, or if there is something in my milk that the boys can't tolerate. Hopefully it is just the thickness. That can be solved. Plus it would save us TONS of money not having to buy formula.

Other than that, we had an overall good transition home. The first night will be interesting with all three, but we'll get there. Please let me know if and when you would like to come help. We need to start setting up a schedule. Either leave a note, or send me an email, or even call. We will need people here throughout the days and nights.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers throughout this last 13+ weeks. We all needed it. We still have some hurdles to cross, but the worst, and the hospital, are over. Praise GOD!!!

1 comment:

Kara said...

WONDERFUL news!!!!