Thursday, March 6, 2008

More thoughts on Where I think the church will be in twenty + years...

I recieved this comment on my previous post "Where I think the church will be in twenty + years..." and I just had to write my comments on it. I know I am sort of rambling here, but I have a lot of questions and a lot to discuss. Please join me in this discussion. I would love to hear what everyone thinks.

Krismisstree posted...

“Interesting...what's your take on the Hebrews 10:25 verse, then? Don't give up
meeting together as some are in the habit of doing? Do you think that command is
'covered' by meeting in small weekly groups, and not getting direct food from a
church service preaching the Word? Just curious on your take on Hebrews 10:25
and how it relates to your post.”


Hebrews 10:25 says "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching." (NIV)

I am not suggesting that all meeting together will be stopped by what the future has in store. Today I was talking to a professor from Central Baptist Theological Seminary and he was saying that “home churches” have been on the rise. They are the people who don’t find the conventional church appealing to them, so they have a church in a more comfortable setting. That is a lot of what I mean by small family groups/Bible studies.

Church doesn't necessarily have to be a structured, liturgical style. As long as people are coming together to worship God, does He really care how it is done? Granted, there will be those that will only get their spiritual “food” from what they listen to on their I-Pods or what-have-you. If those people are to truly live in the Word of God, they will understand that fellowship is an important part of being a Christian.

They will need to have someone to bounce questions off of. However, like we are doing here, they may still not come face to face. I think eventually if they understand, and are reached out to by those that are a part of a community (whether bigger or smaller), they will join a community and have that fellowship.

I do believe that each person needs to have a day of rest. How that person chooses to rest is a part of their own lifestyle. Each person is different. In this day of age, not every person has the liberty to be off of work on Sundays. Therefore the church needs to be flexible with how they offer that fellowship to individuals. If that means that the only time someone can join in some kind of worship is with a small group, at least they are in fellowship and worshiping a God who knows all and understands.

Does that make any sense? Does it matter if someone is hearing the word through preaching or discussion? Can a discussion take place of a sermon? What do traditional sermons do for you? Do you really come away from a traditional sermon every week wanting to implement everything you just heard into your daily life? If you had to choose, which would you prefer as a worship setting... the traditional church or small family style discussion group worship?

Let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Krismisstree said...

Personally, if i had to choose one or another, I would choose a treaditional teaching service...I know that even when I read the Word, I do not have the experience or perspective that wise teachers of the Lord do. Then, family-style discussions can occur througout the week in my daily life--at the dinner table, with our friends as we play games, etc.

I acknowledge your point about people having different days to have a day off, but I don't think it's the church's responsibility to conform to the world and the world's schedule.

I think instead, if you honor God with your life and your decisions (including the job you take) He will reward you for obedience and bless your life more richly.

We had a person attending our church who couldn't make it to our 'early' service (10:45 a.m.) becuase he was a bartender...he said he'd come more regularly to church and feed on the Word when he found a different job.

Our pastors told him to quit his job and cast of all appearance of evil and God would reward him...God will never PUNISH us for being obedient to obeying Him!! The guy quit, came to church, grew in faith because he had no job to pay bills, God took care of him, and a business owner in our church hired him on and he even gets paid more now.

Those are just thoughts I have; I am not trying to start an argument or make you comform to MY way of teaching...I think it's up to everyone to line up what they hear with the Word of God, as it's the only truth. Even pastors aren't the authority; they are a guidance, but God's Word is the only authority.

Krismisstree said...

PS--on your title...are you referring to "The church" (God's body of believers) or "the church" as in the church you attend? I was just curious on the clarification of that :)

Jess and James said...

thanks for the info. I am just wanting opinions to help form my opinion.

In my title I am refering to the Church (all God's people) and the church (the local church). I think both will have to change the way they reach out but not necessarily the same way, because not every person is the same.

John In Colorado said...

just stopped by after looking for blogspot blogs that reference Colorado. say "hi" and leaving a comment. :)